I had to reset the domain administrator password on Windows Server 2008 because the previous company didn’t tell the customer the details ..
What is needed
- Windows 2008 DVD
- Server hooked upto a monitor, keyboard and mouse
- Insert the original Windows Server 2008 installation DVD.
- Reset the computer, boot from DVD.
- Choose option “Repair your computer”.
- Start command prompt.
- CD C:WindowsSystem32
- MOVE Utilman.exe Utilman.exe.bak
- COPY Cmd.exe Utilman.exe
- Restart windows
- At the login screen, type Windows-U, this fires up cmd.exe now
- NET USER administrator <new password>
- Presto! Login as administrator!
- Now repair computer again, command prompt
- MOVE Utilman.exe.bak Utilman.exe
Excellent video by chateaumathieu to support this method